Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Monstrosity by Edward Lee

My first Edward Lee horror novel and based on this one, likely not my last.  Nice plot, good pacing and nicely done horror mixed with a lot of over-the-top craziness. Sort of like watching a car crash...repulsive in many ways but I can't look away. Reminds me a lot of Richard Laymon and since I've read most of his books, Lee might serve well as a replacement.

One problem with this novel, however, which struck me a lot more than it will most readers. The author's biography tells of some time served in the US Army. However, his characters in this book are almost all ex-Air Force security forces people. Unfortunately, the author made quite a few assumptions that the AF is the same as the Army. It's not. For example, his AF characters refer  to shopping at the PX ("Post Exchange" in Army terms) instead of the "BX ("Base Exchange for AF). He references security platoons (sorry, no platoons in the AF). I could list more examples but you get the idea. Minor points to be sure but it represents lazy writing. These are all easily researched items, even way back in 2003 when this was published.

I intend to sample more of Lee's work from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment