Wednesday, April 6, 2022

The Saxon Shore (The Camulod Chronicles #4) by Jack Whyte

I continue to marvel at this series, enjoying every minute of reading it even though the individual books seem to be getting longer and longer.  Topping over 700 pages, this volume is not a quick read but I’m fine with that because while the richness of the story spurns me on to read faster, the atmosphere and Jack Whyte’s style of writing compel me to read slower just so I can spend more time with it.  Yeah…it’s one of those.

The final chapters of the previous book in the series, "The Eagles' Brood" end with Merlyn’s rescuing the newborn baby, Arthur Pendragon and I had assumed this novel would be mostly about Arthur’s education while growing up.  Instead, almost the entire book is devoted to but one year in the lives of these characters, with Arthur only putting in a cameo appearance now and then.  Only in the last 50 pages or so does time advance swiftly and allow us to see Arthur at the age of 7 and 8 years old, already exhibiting signs of the leader he will become. The bulk of the book revolves around Merlyn’s laying the political groundwork and gaining alliances for the coming of Arthur’s leadership in the future. Of course there is much that occurs to Merlyn and his companions along the way, both good and bad.

I think with this volume I have discovered one aspect of the overall series that makes it truly special for me.  Of course I enjoyed all of the standard aspects of high quality writing that makes a book an excellent read: strong fleshed out characters, well-paced plotting, etc. etc.  But these novels also allow the reader to see the world building actually happening on the page. I always love a novel with a well thought-out and developed world and usually remark on that in my reviews. But Jack Whyte has taken it one step further by allowing us readers to view the world being built by the characters themselves.  Whether it is the discovery of new techniques for breeding horses, advancements in weaponry (including Merlyn’s accidental discovery of what will become the jousting pole), or even societal advancements like new ways of governing the people, or evolving religious competition, it all unfolds for us and we get to be a part of it. I liken it to one of my favorite types of computer games: builder games like Civilization.

It is tempting to classify this series as straight historical fiction rather than fantasy even though it is the story of Arthur, Merlin, Camelot, etc. There is no fantasy here at all (other than the phenomenon of predictive dreams that Merlyn is blessed/cursed with). Merlyn’s reputation as a sorcerer is growing but it is simply because of tricks or misunderstandings about what people actually see. The author has done a marvelous job of removing the fantasy from this fantastical tale and making it almost entirely pure historical fiction of 5th century Britain.

On to book number 5, "The Fort at River's Bend".

2 comments:

  1. Great review, Benjamin. I've looked at these books before and their lengths have always intimidated me away. But they sound so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the older I get, the more book length becomes important, it seems. But I absolutely love these books!

      Delete