Wednesday, October 12, 2022

The Hunter From the Woods by Robert McCammon

Having read Robert McCammon’s outstanding WWII/adventure/thriller/werewolf/spy novel The Wolf's Hour earlier this month I knew I had to find and read the “sequel” as soon as possible.  The character of Michael Gallatin and his story was just so rich with possibilities that I was thrilled to discover there was another book.  And, still, to this day, I have yet to read a disappointing book by Robert McCammon.

This book is not another novel, however. It is a collection of 6 stories, all very much connected to one another (as well as with the original novel) but each depicting a different episode in Michael’s intriguing life.  Essentially all six stories fill in his background, mostly taking place during the war itself and just prior to the current events of the first novel. The second story here, ‘The Man From London’ is fairly short but serves to illustrate how Michael is recruited by the British Secret Service for his unique talents. Three of the stories are fairly long, novellas really, and were easily my favorites due to the depth that the longer form allows the author to take the plot and the character. In addition, the answer to a burning, unanswered question from the original novel is answered in the last story of this book.

A definite must-read for McCammon fans. 

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know this existed. Unfortunately, I guess I'm about a decade too late to get a cheap copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear from a lot of people that they haven't heard of this one. I guess it isn't considered "main stream" Robert McCammon so wasn't ever marketed too well. I found my copy at a library sale but it was in perfect shape. Guess I got lucky.

    ReplyDelete