Wednesday, November 30, 2022

The Lance Thrower (The Camulod Chronicles #8) by Jack Whyte

The final two novels in the Camulod Chronicles (this one and book #9, The Eagle) form a duology within the larger series and are told from the point of view of the young Frank, Clothar. We know him as Lancelot but in keeping with the realistic and historically appropriate method in which this entire series is written, the name Clothar is much more appropriate.

This novel is mostly a coming-of-age novel for Clothar, written in his first person perspective, telling the tale from the viewpoint of his later years as a way to make sure his children understand their own familial history. About a third of it takes place when he is just 10 years old and a student under the tutelage of Germanus (a great character we’ve encountered before) while the rest is from when he is 16-18 years old. It is not until the end that Clothar finally meets up with Merlyn and Arthur, himself.

This overall series has become one of my all-time favorites (of all genres) and so it is with some reluctance that I divulge that this is my least favorite of the series. There is nothing particularly “wrong” with it but to my mind much of it seemed somewhat unnecessary to the overall series. In essence it is very much a stand-alone novel within the larger set, and can be read as such…but the most satisfying parts are where it does intersect with the rest of the series and familiar beloved characters. Alas, these parts are few and I confess I was hoping for more of that, and sooner. However, it does a great job of setting up the important character of Clothar and letting us see how he developed his approach to life, and provide some insightful teasers, all of which will ultimately pay off in the concluding volume, I’m sure.

So now I look forward to The Eagle, albeit with mixed emotions. That’s always the way it is with a truly great series, knowing there is only one left to experience, but I will force myself, somehow, to undertake the task. After all the build-up I’ll finally get to experience the heart of Arthur’s story, in the amazing way that only Jack Whyte can tell it.

No comments:

Post a Comment