Saturday, September 3, 2022

The Green Hornet Chronicles, edited by Joe Gentile and Win Scott Eckert

Contrary to a lot of readers of this book, I was not a Green Hornet fan growing up.  The 60s TV series was before my time and even though I’ve been on a sort of retro kick for the past several years, the character never really entered my orbit.  But a few months ago I listened to a few of the old Green Hornet radio show broadcasts of the late 1930s and really started to get into it.

This book collects a number of stories written by contemporary authors that pay homage to the Green Hornet mythos.  Edited by Joe Gentile and Win Scott Eckert, these stories are based on the TV show version, with most of the tales taking place in that decade.  Authors include such luminaries as James Reasoner, Win Scott Eckert, Will Murray, and Greg Cox as well as a whole host of others that tackle the character from different angles. There are 18 stories packed in this one volume. Also included is an essay by Harlan Ellison himself explaining the start of a Green Hornet story that he abandoned, and the reasons why.  And finally, we get a nice intro by Van Williams, (the TV actor who played him) and an interview with Dean Jeffries, the man who designed the Black Beauty, (Green Hornet’s car) for the show.

I now feel like I know Britt Reid (editor of the Daily Sentinel and Green Hornet), Kato (masked chauffeur/bodyguard/enforcer, who was also Reid's valet), Britt Reid's secretary Lenore "Casey" Case, reporter Mike Axford, and others.  I tend to get sucked into these sorts of characters and like to experience them in all forms of media, so I’ve already purchased the original two serials from the early 1940s and plan to start watching the TV series at some point too.  Oh, and I also will soon be diving into The Green Hornet: Still at Large, (edited by these same two gentlemen) as well. Sigh…just not enough time in the day.

1 comment:

  1. I mostly know the Green Hornet from the 1960s TV show, with Williams and Bruce Lee, plus a few episodes of the radio show I've heard. Much like the Shadow, he's been overshadowed by the Batman, in regard to being a millionaire playboy by day/enigmatic dark avenger by night. But I like the Green Hornet's twist of playing the bad guy to do good. He deserves to be better remembered (and not just for the bad Seth Rogan movie.)

    ReplyDelete